Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Day In The Life

I thought now would be a good time to write a bit about what the days are like here and more about the area etc.  Basically the horses are stabled at the Lady Jean Ranch in Jupiter, website for the barn is as follows for anyone interested http://www.ljrelite.com/index1.html, it's a beautiful facility, lovely airy barns with tons of stalls, beautiful tack rooms and lounge area, covered round pen, oversized indoor arena, 20X60 outdoor area and a beautiful full sized training track, also multiple large grass paddocks for turnout, the owners of the facility are great and extremely welcoming, the barn is fairly private and not too busy which is really nice for training.  My day starts around 7:00am, the board here is only a dry stall so we are responsible for all the feeding and cleaning, so I get up to the barn in the morning and do the feeding and stalls then usually head back to the RV park (which is conveniently located about 8 mins from the barn) and get myself cleaned up and ready to ride, I usually try and ride Tango and Roz before my lesson on Nico depending on my lesson time that day, after I finish their training sessions I like to ride them out for a good cool out around the track, Roz hasn't been out on the track yet as this is all still new for her but I'm planning to get her out there in the next day or two as she seems to be well settled in, Nico and Tango I take out there everyday and they quite enjoy themselves, gives them a good chance to really stretch out their muscles and a nice change of scenery.  In the afternoon I usually turn the horses out and tidy up the stalls and get their dinner ready for them, clean their tack and then I usually try and watch the rest of the lessons for the day, I learn a lot by watching the other lessons so I try and get in as much watching time as possible.  There's a nice diversity of riders at the barn once again this year, another mixture of riders from across the continent, me from BC obviously, a group from Alberta, a group from Quebec, a group from Nova Scotia and a group from Chicago with a variety of juniors, young riders and professionals, all talented and with a variety of quality horses.  I like watching lessons of all levels as I find I can draw something useful from watching every lesson, whether it be something for myself, my own horses or something that will help me with teaching my own students when I get back home there is always information to be had!  I finish up the day by bringing the horses in then head back to the trailer for a shower and dinner, then I usually go back up to the barn around 7pm to put on their blankets for the evening, do a final stall tidy up and top up their hay, all in all it's amazing how full the day can be even with only 3 horses to work, but full in a good way!  Definitely loving every minute of it so far and looking forward to seeing how the horses progress in the next little while, though also definitely a bit homesick and missing everyone and all the other horses back home, I hope the weather is holding up back home and everyone is getting in lots of riding time!  The Courtenay Fraser clinic is happening back home this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Serendipity Farms in Kelowna, should be a great clinic, Courtenay is very knowledgeable and an excellent teacher, the clinic is full with 10 riders each day however auditors are welcome at $20.00 a day (see Joanna Cockerline at the barn if you're registering for auditing on the day of) also I have spaces still available in the February and March Courtenay Fraser clinics in Kelowna at Serendipity, if anyone back home is interested in riding please email me at jmlittle75@hotmail.com and I will forward info:)  On a side note I really think I need to find some better titles for these posts but I have to admit I'm a bit too lazy to be creative with titles, this title is only vaguely more creative as I stole it from my favorite Beatles song, any future suggestions welcome haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment