Saturday, February 12, 2011

Show #3

So this weekend we were back to the Jim Brandon center for our next show (this is the show park that Nico had a particular dislike for at the first outing so I knew I'd have to look at it as a schooling weekend competition or not).  I schooled him on Thurs afternoon before the jog in the scary outdoor in the pouring rain and wind with tents flapping away, he wasn't eager to get near those tents again at all but we braved it and schooled despite the fact that we were absolutely soaking wet (I don't recall ever being that wet at a show before, on the plus side at least it wasn't too cold-the water was dripping off me so much I could taste my hairspray and had to wring out my sweater and breeches after-I challenge anyone to say that I'm not 110% dedicated to what I do:), after the jog I took him back out and hand walked around the arena and took the time to show him all of the tents and let him relax in there.  Day one of the show it rained almost nonstop, I took Nico out and warmed him up for about a half hour then took him back to the barn and gave him a little break and got on my jacket and hat, then we went back out and did another 15 mins of warmup and then rode our test, it was pouring so much that there was no wind so the tents stayed quiet but the test wasn't a good one unfortunately, the trot tour was actually descent enough but then when we got to the canter the wheels came off a bit and the mistakes just seemed to pile up, starting with our second change in the half passes it was like things weren't clicking, I can't put my finger on why because he seemed focused so whether it was the slippery footing with all of the rain or just that things weren't jiving that day I'm not sure but we had mistakes in our pirouettes and both lines of tempis which is just odd (the one movement that is usually our safest is the tempis so that's unusual but I guess we could chalk it up to an off day) so all in all just too many mistakes going on, it's like we haven't been able to find our groove down here yet but on the plus side he was much more focused than the last time we were there.  So day #2 today was almost like a combination of the last show and yesterday, it was sunny and windy once again and the tents were back flapping away in the breeze, for the first time at the shows down here I was actually satisfied with my warm up by the end of it, it started out a bit rough but by the end he actually felt normal like he does at home, the test was a challenge because of the crazy flapping tents (and I have to hand it to him they are indeed scary because not only do the tents flap but you can hear the poles creaking away too-they sound like they are about to blow away and then the tents will settle and then all of a sudden flap in the horse's face so I can kind of understand where he's coming from but unfortunately he has to learn to be brave;) and we had mistakes again in the changes, this time due to distraction and a pretty big spook in the zig zag and in the change after one of the pirouettes but on the plus side the good movements today did feel much more normal so I'm feeling more confident that we just have to iron out a couple of things before we will be back to our normal routine at the shows (we've had this at the first couple shows of the season in the past when I think about it so I think we will be back on track soon-sometimes I forget these things then when I think back I remember oh yeah we did have a couple of rough first outings last season too).  On the plus side the judges are all complementary and like us as a pair, we get nice comments and most of them are understanding of the tension or mistakes so that's positive, I'd feel much worse if we were having good rounds and getting low scores without knowing why, at least I know that the judges like us and want to give the scores but of course with this level of judging and competition they just can't be forgiving of mistakes (for example I was watching one of the grand prix rides today and the horse was going beautifully with the score board running between 69% and 70% then she got to her first piaffe and he stopped and reared then continued on task and the score immediately dropped to 59%-there is no room for error at these shows that's for sure), fair enough, we will pull our socks up over the next couple of weeks and see what we can do-no tension and clean rides that's the goal!  Sounds simple but I have to say it's much easier to achieve in the comfort of our Canadian backyard than it is down here!  I'm still very much enjoying the experience and exposure that Nico and I are getting here, naturally I wish that the shows were going better but I'm also patient enough to realize that this is all new for him and being a sensitive horse he needs some time to adapt to all of the changes in his life right now and in the grand scheme of things this is all good for him and I to mature as a partnership as we are out of our normal comfort zone of the shows back home, so I am refusing to see any part of this journey as negative, we have come too far for that and have much growth still to come so I am feeling positive and confident that things can only improve:)

No comments:

Post a Comment